Saturday 1 June 2013

Nic Hobbs interview.






 Next up for Lincoln Ladies is a local derby against Doncaster Rovers Belles. Currently both sides are at the wrong end of the table so its a game that both need to win. As you would expect with both sides quite close together geographically, a few players have represented both clubs. Lincoln have former Belles striker Precious Hamilton, while Belles have former Imps Sue Smith and Leandra Little. 
We will also see a very familiar face lining up in goal. Nic Hobbs was ever present for the Imps in the 2012 season and has had two spells at Lincoln during her career. With that in mind i thought it would be great to catch up with her before the big game and chat about how things were going at Doncaster for her, her time at Lincoln, and her view on the state of the women's game in general. I was very humbled when she agreed to do this interview and i hope everybody enjoys reading her thoughts.
 

Nic in action for Lincoln last season (pic courtesy of Rob Waite)


Adam Barlow  Hi Nic, could i first start of by thanking you for taking time out to give us this interview.  You are currently in your second spell with Doncaster. Has the club changed much since you have been away and was it easy to settle back in?

Nic Hobbs  Hi Adam. It’s a pleasure. I am really enjoying my time at Donny and there are many players here that were here previously, such as Kasia, Millie and Tory. It aslo helps when Sue and Leandra are here as I was playing at Lincoln with them. It was so easy to settle in knowing the girls and everyone is so friendly and approachable. The team as a whole are really close and there are no cliques and no people thinking they are better than anyone else.


AB: How do you feel the season has gone so far for Doncaster and for you personally?



NH: The season started bad for us losing 4 -0 to Chelsea and then to get relegated from top flight football after playing this one game and for it to be over money. You couldn’t think of a worse start! Although this really affected us we knew we had to prove the FA wrong and try and embarrass them by getting results. Since then (ignoring the performance at Bristol) we have worked hard at making it difficult for teams, and we managed a 1-1 draw with Chelsea the following week, and although we lost against Liverpool we put in a good performance and worked hard.
On my performances the season started bad obviously losing 4-0 but I don’t think I had a bad game and since then I have been happy with my game. But there is always something I can work on and put right and I have a long way to go regarding consistency but I am only just 26 and have a long playing career yet.


AB: Has the news from the FA about placing Doncaster in FAWSL 2 in 2014 brought the squad even closer together and made everybody more determined to succeed this season?



NH:  Yes the decision has given us a boost in a way to prove ourselves as fighters and money shouldn’t talk.
We have local, young developing talent and this team is exactly what the league is for. Develop English players to make the national side stronger and give more opportunities.
We have nothing to lose now, bring it on!


AB: You also had two spells with Lincoln. What are your favourite memories of your early days at the club?



NH: My first spell at Lincoln was amazing, great girls and made some good friends and the club helped me develop into the England set up. The coaching staff and backroom staff really made Lincoln a great club to be at. They put so much of their own money and time into the club to take it onwards and upwards. I feel bad for them now as it has been taken away from Lincoln so it will have to start from scratch again. All their efforts have been took over and taken away to Nottingham.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rod Wilson and Glen Harris for all their hard work and efforts throughout my time at Lincoln.
My memories at Lincoln range from nights out to getting close to promotion. It was a great balance.


AB: Looking back on those early days, what do you think has been the biggest change in the women's game compared to what it is today?







NH: Biggest change – Money, money is the main one. It’s amazing that clubs can now afford to pay players and make it into a salary for them. This should make the game better although it doesn’t create talent, it just helps clubs get that talent.  This will be good for players to get the opportunity to train daily and spread the word on women’s football. 
Though I do hope money is going into the development side of things and creating English talent and not go down the road of men's football and just buy ready-made talent.



AB: I believe you rejoined Lincoln in 2011, which was the first season of Super League and you were ever present in the side in 2012. What was your high point during that time? Do any games stand out



NH: There are 2 games that really stand out to me and that was the time we drew with Arsenal twice in 2 weeks at home. It was the fact I as a player had never gained points from Arsenal. The game was fantastic and there was lots of goals and lots of saves it was so tense and I actually enjoyed the game. It was one game for the crowd as well and to give them a game like that was great.



AB:Any real low points from the same time?



NHLow points……obviously losing games are low points but there isn’t really anytime that sticks out. Obviously that’s a good thing and I have nothing but good memories at Lincoln.



AB: Are there any funny stories that you can tell us about your time at Lincoln?



NH; There have been lots of funny stories at Lincoln. One time (although you probably had to be there at the time) 5 of us were heading to training, singing our hearts out to people in the traffic, all I remember was Casey sinking into her seat. She was so embarrassed!
There were also a lot of house parties which were hilarious and great nights out.



AB:Looking back on your career as a whole, what has been the high point?



NH; There have been so many high points but I would start with playing for various England age groups. Also reaching the league cup final with Doncaster and although I didn’t play in the final but played into every game running upto it; reaching the FA cup final with Everton and winning.



AB:Who is the best coach/manager that you have worked with, and why?



NH: Goal Keeping coach wise there are a few. Steve Harris at Lincoln helped me back upto a better standard when leaving Everton and joining Lincoln.
But I will always remember at England Tony Parks. I only had one camp with him but he was all for keepers getting their own time with training and not just stood serving balls to the outfield. He stood up for keepers which I respected.
I do love a controversial person. haha

AB: How do you view the FAWSL this season; it looks a lot closer this year but have any sides really impressed you so far?

NH: The obvious is Liverpool they have had a lot of money pumped into the club. But also Bristol, although they didn’t stand out when we played against them they know when to take their chances and they finish them outstandingly.
This season will stand out, teams have got stronger and I think the league may look a bit different this season but I do think it will be very close from top to bottom.

AB: You have a very demanding full time job away from football. Just how hard is it mentally and physically to juggle both?

NH I do have the best job in the world (Nic is a firefighter) and enjoy it so much and I do feel really lucky doing a job I love to do. Im also lucky that I can play football around it to although it is hard. Most of the time I do an 11 hour shift then go straight to training or even train before I go to work. The hardest is when I have to work sat night finsh Sunday morning then go back to work Sunday night. That’s a killer.
I do believe having a job as a woman playing football is very important, and getting a good education is too, as all it takes at this level is a nasty injury and it could stop you playing. I know if that happened to me I would still have a job to fall back on and can still pay my mortgage and bills with no hassle. Also there still isn’t enough money in it yet to make you comfortable for your future.

AB Thanks a lot for taking the time to talk to us and for giving us a players insight into your career and the women's game. Good luck for the rest of the season.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sherwood Colliery 2-2 Buxton

September to me has always seemed to be the worse month of the year by far. I think it started back when I was at school as it signifies the...