Sunday 9 January 2011

Bad things always comes in threes

You can make all the plans in the world,think that you have thought of everything and then Bam a turtle eats your mash! (I believe that is the latest hot saying for things going tits up.)
As a Birthday treat i had been given tickets to watch the Nottingham Panthers take on the Cardiff devils in Nottingham on Saturday night. This being me, the day was to begin with a drinking session and the Hockey was to be followed by more beer and a curry at the Mongal e azam, Nottingham's finest curry house where the likes of Cannon and Ball, Bill Bailey, Gavin Brown, Steve Davis and a drunkard who serves ham in a bag have all eaten over the years. Obviously when embarking on a day like this one needs to fuel ones body sufficiently to get it through the challenge ahead so a Wetherspoons full English breakfast was planned to start the day off.

(Warning not all English breakfast look as nice as this)

But as they say things often go tits up and in this case it was tits up on a massive scale.
Over the past couple of days i have had some sort of cold and being Asthmatic it has gone straight to my chest. The result being that my chest has been getting tighter and tighter and it got to the point on Saturday morning where i couldn't walk upstairs without being out of breath for ten minutes, and was unable to get a sentence out without gasping like a twat. I had to admit defeat and instead of chilling out watching channel four's horse racing tips show The morning line and then stuffing down a Wetherspoons breakfast, Bassetlaw Hospital was on my radar.

Any odds on a Giant killing or Toon in the third round of the FA cup John?

A lot of people slate the health service but for me the treatment i received was nothing short of first class. I cant fault a thing after phoning ahead i was only sat waiting for about 5 mins before i was straight in and placed on the nebuliser and on the way back to something approaching normal. I could breathe normally for the first time in a three days as oppose to sounding like Darth Vader in his final moments aboard the second Death Star, and boy did it feel good. My ribs were still sore from all the coughing but i felt a hell of alot better. This is an appropriate moment to thank my own Luke Skywalker for helping me out, being my Chauffeur and translating my shortened sentences to the people on the phone and the Doctor. The Guinea Pigs need thanking as well and deserve huge credit for not panicking and remaining calm throughout.



As luck would have it we still managed to get the train we had originally planned to get to Nottingham at 12.03, which after a brief change at Worksop got us to Nottingham at about 1.45pm. After checking into the hotel, we were soon drinking in the Bell pub at about 2.15pm ahead of the big face off at 7.00pm. As the beer and conversations flowed freely, good news came in from Sincil Bank; not only had the Imps taken a 2-1 lead against Hereford United in the FA Cup, but the scorer was none other than sir Delroy of Facey. So i am 2 up in the bet now and looking good. I will post details of Oxford United's ticket prices so whom it may concern has plenty of time to save his pennies up for the Imps last away game (and it could be our last football league away game if things dont look up)
As normally happens on longish drinking sessions with my cousin, the conversation varied depending on the amount of drink consumed. Topics ranged form the Barlow's important contribution to the war effort, to the effect on the economic situation on Nottingham's massage parlours(Not that i have ever been to one myself i hasten to add) Semi normal things like how to get good deals on car insurance were also discussed.
As we moved on to different pubs my drinking pace quickened with the news that the Imps had bowed out of the FA Cup 3-4 at home. "Bollocks" was my reaction. Oh well more beer. At 6.00pm we made our way to the Nottingham Ice arena. The Old Trafford of British Ice Hockey.


I must say that i have really enjoyed watching the GMB Nottingham Panthers this season. I am very much a newbie to all the rules and stuff but learn i little more on each visit. This was my 5th game and i hope to get a few more in before the season ends. Its cheaper than watching league two football, you always get goals and being as the Panthers are the biggest club in the country a good atmosphere is usually guarenteed. We tried out the Lace Market chip shop pre game; the lamb meat and chips went down very well and i will be partaking again. The service was also fantastic although there was only one chap serving and a large queue waiting, the guy did a sterling job. I tip my hat to you sir.


Today the Elite league's form team the Cardiff Devils were in town. Their 18 game winning streak was almost as hot as my lamb kebab. They were well supported but chatting to a few Notts fans they seem to be very much a bandwagon club who normally bring about 20 to Nottingham at best. As this is my first season i cant say if this is correct or not. One thing i like about the Elite league is that it is the only pro sport in Britain that brings together teams for all four countries of the United Kingdom with one Welsh team, one side from Northern Ireland, three from Scotland and five from England making up the league. Being sat just across the row from the Cardiff fans (although we all mixed freely on the concourse and in the Arena) led to a great atmosphere.


The Panthers played well but were defeated 5-6. Of the few Ice Hockey games we have been to, this was by far the best game we have seen. Cardiff were out of the blocks quickly getting a two goal lead within 6 minutes, only for the Panthers to fightback and take a 4-2 lead. The Devils drew it level only for Notts to take the lead from the following faceoff. Again Cardiff drew level and took the lead with a couple of minutes left to play. The Panthers then committed a daft penalty by having too many men on the ice thus gifting Cardiff the power play for the remainder of the game and that was that. For my money both teams gave it there all and served up a great treat for the fans. The only down side being the news that the "Penforcer" will be leaving the club. All the best for the future. As my Ice Hockey education continues the match reports will be a little more detailed. My next mission is to fully understand the Ice Hockey offside rule.

After the game a swift pint was in order before a curry to round of my Birthday celebrations. Nottinghams top totty/Slappers were out in forced and dressed up to the nines. Thus making my Ice hockey/jeans and trainers combo look a tad out of place. The Bouncer on the door told me that not football shirts were allowed, I did tell him it was an ice hockey jersey, but alas the same rule applied so i took it off and was allowed into the pub. He failed to spot i had my Lincoln City jumper on underneath. Bouncer 0 Darth Adam 1. I wonder if the "No Sports shirts" rule is enforced before/after Forest games? Somehow i can't quite see it.

The Curry went down better than the Cardiff players after Lepine (A Panthers player) had smacked them. I have been to the curry house a number of times and for the first time best of order was given. I didnt make a twat of myself by ordering a curry that was too hot, no Bombay mix was spilt everywhere, no warm beer spilt and no well known international comedians were heckled. Maybe now that i am in my 32nd year, my associates and i are growing up?....Nah.

Although the Panthers and the Imps both lost high scoring matches, it really didnt bother me. After the mornings fun and games i was just glad to make it to Nottingham at all. I would like to say a HUGE thanks TO those who helped me and convince me that i needed to get my arse to the hospial ASAP and got me there and back :-)Oh and for getting me a shout out over the PA at the Hockey saying that i was 32 years YOUNG. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sherwood Colliery 2-2 Buxton

September to me has always seemed to be the worse month of the year by far. I think it started back when I was at school as it signifies the...